Have inflamed scrotum. Applied ketoconzole cream. Right treatment?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: I have an inflamed scrotum from the dr trying to cure jock itch. He prescribed ketoconzole cream 2% 2x day for four weeks then mometasone furoate cream USP0.1% 2X day for two weeks. After the ketoconzole treatment I have bright red inflamed skin and several open sores. Cant use the mometasone furoate cream USP0.1% because it burns like hell. Dr's offices are closed for Xmas. . Do not want it to get infected. My scrotum hurts when I walk or move now! What course of treatment would you recommend? XXXXXXX Email: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

You should stop using mometasone , since there are open sores.Even stop ketoconzole for now.May be you had allergy to it.

Any broad spectrum antibiotic cream can help till symptoms resolve. Once these inflammation and symptoms resolve you can see doctor again to continue treatment for fungal infection with alternative medicine.Oral antihistaminics can help relieve symptoms.

Try keep scrotum covered with pads or cotton to avoid friction while walking.Keep the area dry and clean.If it suits you, you can try antifungal powders.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.