Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have hypothyroidism. Not getting pregnant. Any relation?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I have hypothyroidism was w my ex for 6 years and didnt get pregnant until the end, no birthcontrol and miscarried at 4 1/2 months, now ive been with my recent boyfriend for 5 years, no birthcontrol, and still havnt got pregnant. Will i ever?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 25 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query here.

First of all, you have a history of miscarriage. It indicates that you need a meticulous investigations. Because many conditions can give rise to this type of situation. Most commonly, hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, presence of antiphospholipid antibody in blood and genetic abnormality can give rise to this situation. Some other problem like cervical incompetence is also important.

As in your case, cervical incompetence should excluded apart from doing other investigations.

So, to start with, do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen first. Presence of polycystic ovarian syndrome should be noted. In case of polycystic ovarian syndrome, treatment is mandatory with metformin and oral contraceptive pills.

A recent thyroid profile is second test. Besides you have to do a complete hormonal profile including, LH, FSH, estradiol and other hormones.

The semen analysis report of your partner is also required. So, do it.

From the above mentioned investigations, it can be said, what the actual problem is.

Till then, try to have intercourse between 10 to 18th days of your menstrual cycle. And take the thyroid medication regularly. And do not worry, now a days there are many modern techniques which can help you overcome this type of problems. But, first the problem should be identified.

Lastly, you have to consult with an infertility specialist in person for detailed clinical examination and for ordering required tests and also for further management accordingly.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor