Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Have hypothyroidism. Blood test normal. Noticed weight gain and knee pain. Safe remedy?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5970 Questions
Hi my mother suffers from hypothyroidism due to which she has gained weight. Her TSH test are normal and even her sugar and blodd tests are normal, but she has unbearable pain in her knees. The doctor says its due to the weight. Please suggest what can be done to reduce weight and the pain in the knee.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Your mother's BMI is more than 43, which falls under the category of morbid obesity.
Hypothyroidism alone, can never be the cause of such abnormal obesity.
Mostly, it is the result of chronically bad life habits, including a sedentary lifestyle, devoid of exercise, and unhealthy dietary habits, along with a genetic predisposition to gain weight .
As her TSH is normal, you cannot implicate hypothyroidism as a cause of this obesity.
Such morbid obesity is ideally a candidate for bariatric surgery.
At the very least, till you make up your mind about bariatric surgery, she needs urgent consultation with a dietician and a fitness consultant.
She should adhere to a strict, highly calorie restricted diet chart - skipping meals is not the answer, but the entire day's intake should be meticulously planned .
Also, keeping in mind her current weight and knee problems , there are extremely fee exercises that she can carry out, but you need a qualified exercise therapist to chart out appropriate exercises for her.
Knee pain, is mostly due to osteo arthritis due to excessive weight,
If her weight is not taken care of, she runs the risk of more deadly diseases like cardiovascular complications, heart attacks, stroke, diabetes, renal damage, liver damage etc.
So please concentrate on her obesity, and I urge you to consult a bariatric surgeon for appropriate guidance, as she is definitely a candidate for bariatric surgery.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor