Have hypertension and anxiety due to meth. How long it takes to get cure?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Drug Abuse
Question: I went through meth withdrawal only once which happened recently. I was forced to take it by bad guys whom i thought could be friends. It has been a month now. But, i have hypertension and anxiety due to meth. How long will my brain recover and get healthy again?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 46 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting on HCM

Withdrawal symptoms of methamphetamine primarily consist of fatigue, depression, and increased appetite. Symptoms may last for days with occasional use and weeks or months with chronic use, with severity dependent on the length of time and the amount of methamphetamine used. Medical therapy for withdrawal might be needed if your situation provided the symptom ( anxiety) and high blood pressure is persisting. You will need to pay a visit to a doctor for a evaluation and probably placement on drugs for management of the symptoms. Your brain will recover, just give it some time.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 days later
Why after a short-term use of meth (i only used it 3 times on separate days) i suddenly have high blood pressure? It happened after the withdrawal.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the update.
Even in short term use and in high doses meth can induce physical effects such as high blood pressure/ low blood pressure, hyperactivity, anorexia, flushed skin, dilated pupils, palpitation/increased heart rate, headache, anxiety etc
Right now, my suggestion is to get examined by a doctor, who would probably place you on antihypertensive medication and anxiolytics since the symptoms are probably persisting. Note that your doctor is bound by medical ethics to keep it as a secret of your use of meth. The symptoms can be managed while allowing your brain to recover from the hyper psychostimulating effects of meth.
You also have to know that different people react differently to different drugs especially if it is their first time you. My advice is to completely stay off meth...

Take care and wish you a quick recovery

Dr Nsah