Have hypertension, GERD and sleep deprivation. Taking beta blockers, ganaton and omez. Looking for advice

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had been having compulsive sleep deprivation for a long time, the idea of resting in the bed before sleep embraces me is something I cannot have. All I do is read something, watch TV or browse internet. It may go till 12:30 am or 1 am in the early hours, I also have to get up at say 6:00 am at the earliest which leaves me with a sleeping period of less than 6 hours. I understand that it is a critical issue but couldn't cope up with it. I have hypertension for which I am taking beta blockers and also have symptomatic GERD for which I am taking Ganaton and Omez. I have a worry that it would harm my cardio and neuro health. Are there any medications there or is it a change of attitude that is needed. I am worried a lot.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is important that you have correctly recognized your problem. Good sleep of 7-8 hours per night is essential for good neuro and cardio health.

Your problem is mainly habitual. So, first of all, you need to try and change your habits.

You should not indulge in any activity (such as internet browsing, watching TV, etc) even if you do not get sleep.

Try to walk around for some time and try sleeping again.

Do not drink tea or coffee in late evenings.

You should have your dinner at least two hours prior to your sleeping time.

If these measures do not help, you may take tablet zolpidem at bed time.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 47 minutes later
Thanks doctor, will try to modify my habits, I have a peculiar addiction to coffee that also is bad as you said. I sometimes feel isolated pain in the hands shoulders and legs sometimes, not a radiating pain but it comes and goes. Is there any particular foods that I can take which could resolve this issue.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

As long as you take upto three cups of tea or coffee per day, it is alright. You should avoid taking more than three cups of coffee per day.

Regarding your random pains, please get vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels checked. If they are deficient, you would require vitamin supplements.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)