Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have hyperextended elbow. Having pain. X-ray normal. Should I go for second opinion?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I may have hyperextended my elbow a few months ago. The pain has been getting worse since. I have a constant pain within the joint that gets worse with elbow movement. I am also unable to stringent the arm due to pain. I also get constant clicking locking and snapping feeling when moving elbow. I saw a physician who said I have some sort of "Osteochondritis injury" and sent me to get a MRI.

The MRI came back negative on loose bodies so he wants to continue with a conservative course of non-surgery treatment. Is it possible the MRI missed show loose bodies of cartilage? X-rays came back normal. Should I go for a second opinion?

I feel that I might need surgery to remove this loose body and repair an cartilage damage.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

It is better to go for second opinion. In your case diagnostic arthroscopy is good option and if loose bodies found, arthroscopic removl of loose bodies and cartilage repair possible.
I suggest you to take second opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh XXXXXXX
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hyperextended elbow. Having pain. X-ray normal. Should I go for second opinion? 26 minutes later
Is it possible that the MRI missed the loose bodies? Does this happen often? The mri was done without contrast.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Thanks for your query again.

It is possible to miss the loose bodies on MRI, but it is very rare.
I suggest you to get it evaluated by an orthopaedic surgeon.

Hope this will helps you.

Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor