Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Have hydroureteronephrosis. Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10285 Questions
I HAVE HYDROURETRONEPHROSIS 12*7 mm . how it can be cured?
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The kidneys lead to the ureter , the urine travels through the ureter to the bladder.
The kidneys have different parts, the pelvis of the kidney is like a funnel which leads into the ureter.

Hydrouretronephrosis means the that there is enlargement of the pelvis of the kidneys, part of the kidneys that lead to the pelvis and also the ureter. It is usually related to obstruction of some part of the ureter or bladder such as a stone , tumor or stricture (narrowing of a passage way) or related to an enlargement of the prostate .

Treatment involves: (1) allowing the urine to flow properly and preventing the build up of pressure that caused the enlargement in the first place and treating any pain

(2) preventing kidney infection which would worsen the kidneys, this may require antibiotics

(3)treating the cause of the blockage, in some cases a stent may need to be placed to reopen or bypass any obstructed area. If it is a stone it may have to be removed, if the prostate is enlarged this may need medication or surgery . If it is a tumor this have to be removed.

(4) in terms of the present enlargement , this is not likely to go away but the treatment would prevent this from getting worse.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hydroureteronephrosis. Cure? 1 hour later
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

If the stone is less than 5mm then it would pass on its own with the use of alot of water.
If they are too large to pass on their own then the doctor may recommend to use of machine that generates shock waves that break the stone in small pieces so that it can pass. This is done by a urologist.

There are some medications that can be given by your doctor ,they include: (1) tamulsolin , this can be combined with an steroid (2) medication in the family of drugs called calcium channel blockers- this includes nifedipine
These medications are usually used with the shock therapy

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hydroureteronephrosis. Cure? 41 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
You are welcome, feel free to contact with any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor