Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Have hurt upper leg and knee. What can I do?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
I have hurt the muscel
l in the back and front of upper leg before you get to the knee I did this about 2 weeks ago not getting better. what can I do. I did this while on a small step ladder reaching into cupboards to clean them I had to reach far in. I thing I pulled muscel in back and in legs
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You could have strained the HAMSTRINGS.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the description, I feel that you could have suffered a HAMSTRING(back of thigh musculature) strain and Quadriceps (front of thigh muscle) contusion. Both these injuries will resolve spontaneously within 3 weeks (if they are of mild nature).

But, as your injury is already of 2 weeks duration and it still hurts, there could be a bit significant injury inside. An MRI scan of the involved area is necessary to assess the exact extent of injury to the musculature inside. Momentarily try the following measures and see if they can help you
- REST the injured area and avoid doing any activities that causes pain
- ICE COMPRESSION over the painful area once in 2-3 hours
- Wrap an ELASTIC COMPRESSION BANDAGE around the painful area
- Elevate your leg on a cushion or a pillow while you are lying or sitting down
- Use analgesic anti-inflammatory medications like Advil or Aleve to reduce the pain and inflammation.
- Once the severity of pain decreases, Gradual and mild stretching activities of the knee are begun along with Moist heat fomentation of the painful area so as to increase the blood supply to the underlying muscles and also the relax them. Gentle massaging of the painful area with pain killer creams may also help.

If your symptoms are not getting better with the above measures, I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor