Have huge swollen gland, no fever and no sore throat. Looking for solution

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: Three year old child has huge swollen gland on one side but no fever and no sore throat.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 44 minutes later
Good morning, thanks for writing to us.

From your query , it’s not specified as to where the swelling is situated, how big is it meaning to say any comparison to anything like the size of a lemon, or the size of thumb etc, nor have you mentioned is it painful, is it movable or not, it is a very incomplete data provided.

Going by the medical history of the child, I am assuming the swelling to be just a lymph node enlargement, and if so and huge, it requires a thorough examination even if the child does not have any fever or sore throat.

However, by going by your query, I am assuming that the swelling may be present in the neck around the throat area.

In this case, if the swelling is huge and concerning you and the child, it will be better to get a pediatrician examine the child.

Do get back to me with a detailed description.

Awaiting your response.

Thank you and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E