Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have huge boil on inner thigh, using mupirocin ointment and has bursted with blood oozing. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2543 Questions
hi, i have a huge boil on my inner thigh, i was using mupirocin ointment on it now, however the same has bursted now, it has oozed only blood and not pus, that too the boil has partially bursted and not completely. it has stopped to bleed now, should i apply soframycin cream or mupirocin on the boil now?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drain, C/S, Dressing, Oral meds, Investigations

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. It is advisable to get such a large boil examined. If it has partially drained, it is better to complete the drainage. Daily dressings will help. This will speed up the healing.

2. The pus and discharge should be sampled for culture (C/S). Oral antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication will help. Mupirocin or Soframycin are both good ointments to use locally. Use Betadine liquid to clean the area first.

3. You should get investigated for any blood sugar problems, anemia, resitant bacteria, hormonal imbalance and other immunosuppressive conditions.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor