Have hirsutism, irregular periods and hypothyroidism. Is it curable?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have hypothyroid since 2008.
Is it curable, can i stop taking medicine
Secondly also have histurism - few dark hair on face
irregular periods 45-60 days sometimes even skips
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, hypothyroidism is a treatable condition. But for this you have to take the medicine for rest of the life.

To understand this, you have to know some basic facts. Hypothyroidism occurs when there is low thyroid hormone level in blood. For this, TSH get increased and it maintains the normal level of the thyroid hormone in blood. In this condition, we just provide the thyroid hormone supplements from outside. After taking medicine, a normal TSH, T3, T4 level does not indicate that you are cured. It indicates that the thyroid profile is normal with the hormonal supplements taken regularly. So, if you stop the drug, the condition will revert back to the previous level.

In your case, the hypothyroidism is not a separate disease. It is the part of the PCOD. The hair in facial area ( hirsutism), higher weight, irregular menstrual period, all indicates the PCOD. Consult with your gynecologist for a meticulous treatment for PCOD. If you get treated for PCOD, your weight will decrease, and thyroid will be well maintained and the menstrual abnormality will get back to normal.

You are lucky enough that you conceived easily without any treatment. But if you do not get treated for this PCOD, in near future you will get in big trouble. So, consult with your gynecologist for this matter.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.