Have hipatitus C and hiccups. Are they related? Looking for proper treatment

Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: My son in law has had hipatitus C since he was age 18. He now has had hick-ups for four days. There seems to be a connection between hipatitus C and hick-ups. What should he do and what is his general prognosis for his life with hip C over about 45 years following many treatments for Hip C?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 41 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

First, his Hepatitis C status can be presently determined by blood antigens which are specific to the condition. I must presume here that with such long history, and medications - that has been long before put on check by the doctors.

Second, medical literature does not quote a direct relationship between this condition and hiccups. Although, certain conditions, precisely certain growths on the upper surface of the liver that is in direct contact with the diaphragm (that is the cause of hiccups in the first place) might be a reason.

Third, hiccups beyond 2 days need a look by a doctor, as they are classified as persistent hiccups. Clinical exam and tests including X-ra, ECG and others may be needed apart from blood tests to determine the cause.

Fourth, until the cause may or may not be determined - symptomatic therapy for hiccups is started from a group of drugs available. One amongst the group most suitable will be selected on the basis of patient and condition severity after assessment.

Seriousness will be known only after a good assessment by your doctor.
Prognosis for many cases which have trivial reasons is obviously good.

So, I would suggest you to consider the above brief points before you advice your son-in-law.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.