Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Have hipatitus C and hiccups. Are they related? Looking for proper treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
My son in law has had hipatitus C since he was age 18. He now has had hick-ups for four days. There seems to be a connection between hipatitus C and hick-ups. What should he do and what is his general prognosis for his life with hip C over about 45 years following many treatments for Hip C?
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 41 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

First, his Hepatitis C status can be presently determined by blood antigens which are specific to the condition. I must presume here that with such long history, and medications - that has been long before put on check by the doctors.

Second, medical literature does not quote a direct relationship between this condition and hiccups. Although, certain conditions, precisely certain growths on the upper surface of the liver that is in direct contact with the diaphragm (that is the cause of hiccups in the first place) might be a reason.

Third, hiccups beyond 2 days need a look by a doctor, as they are classified as persistent hiccups. Clinical exam and tests including X-ra, ECG and others may be needed apart from blood tests to determine the cause.

Fourth, until the cause may or may not be determined - symptomatic therapy for hiccups is started from a group of drugs available. One amongst the group most suitable will be selected on the basis of patient and condition severity after assessment.

Seriousness will be known only after a good assessment by your doctor.
Prognosis for many cases which have trivial reasons is obviously good.

So, I would suggest you to consider the above brief points before you advice your son-in-law.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor