Have high liver enzymes. Will it be controlled by stopping alcohol?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My liver enzymes are higher than normal. I want to cut back on drinking alcohol but not stop entirely. Will this work? Will taking milk thistle help?Not sure if you got the additional info': I am in excellent overall health. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later
Cutting down alcohol would definitely help your liver and your liver enzymes would come down as well. But we should be looking at cutting it down to 1 drink ( =30 ml) per day.
Although the beneficial effects of milk thistle are known, there are no large trials which have investigated the role of milk thistle in liver disease. So I would not be able to comment on the same. I think cutting down on the alcohol and eating healthy is all that you need. The liver has tremendous capacity to bounce back and I am sure it will take care of itself if you take care of these things.
Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more concerns
Dr Sadiq
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli