Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Have high cholesterol and triglycerides level. Smear test showed low platelets count. Any advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
I am 59 year old male. My total cholesterol is 249, triglyceride is 696. Serum uric acid is 7.5. Haemoglobin is 11.7.
My platelet count is 106, 000/ and blod picture shows" RBC with mild anisopoikilcytosis with mild hypochromia. Mycrocites, target cells and a few elliptocytes are present. Platelets appear decreased on smear"
Can you pl. Advise.
Thanks and regards.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Your total cholesterol and triglycerides are high.
Normal values of serum uric acid vary between laboratories. Even it is influenced by taking certain substances and medications. Your values seem to be on the higher end.

You have a low hemoglobin and a peripheral smear picture suggestive of take the lab picture into consideration and should include history of the patient, the physical examination findings and lab picture to come to a conclusion)

The platelet count is low and can be found in a large number of conditions including minor ones like a viral fever.

You should be treated with cholesterol lowering medication which your doctor will advise. Exercise and dietary changes will also help.

Regarding the blood picture a clinical history and physical examination are required to arrive at a diagnosis and further action

Hope this helps.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have high cholesterol and triglycerides level. Smear test showed low platelets count. Any advice? 1 hour later
Dr. Murty,
Let me tell you that I have no symptoms of any disease nor I am facing any problem carrying my normal work.
Can you suggest what other haematological test should I undergo to rule out any serious ailment like say malignancies.
Sometime back, I was diagnosed having a fatty liver for which no medication was advised but only restrictions on diet were imposed and I was asked to do regular exercises. I am generally following them.
I would be happy for your advice.
Thanks and regards.
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 20 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

I request you to not to ignore those cholesterol and triglyceride values.

You should consult your doctor and start medications because your regular exercises are not keeping them under control. So you may have to be started on medication for that.
A abnormal lipid profile will result in problems like atherosclerosis which may be the etiology for heart attacks and strokes. So I request you to consult your doctor for medication.

Malignancy can arise from any cell of the body and there are no battery of lab tests to rule out all of them. Some times certain symptoms will give a clue to any malignancy. A physical examination will give clue to any malignancy if it is present. (say for example a swelling in the neck or a abnormal increase in the size of a mole on skin). Then that particular investigation can be ordered to rule out malignancy.

So what I suggest is get regular health check up done. A detailed physical examination by your doctor will help in identifying any abnormality. Normally some basic investigations like blood counts, peripheral smear, urine routine investigations etc are ordered which may give a clue in certain cases.

You may contact me regarding your health on the following URL...........

I would be more than happy to help you.

Hope this helps.
Take care

(Please take care of your cholesterol and triglycerides)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor