Have high blood pressure of 159/105. What should I do to lower this level?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I normally have blood pressure of 135/87. Today I am I have had high blood pressure of 159/105 just taken now. I do not take any medication. Is there someway I can get it to settle down without a drug
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The pressure elevation is moderate.
There is no sure way to bring it down to normal levels by non-pharmocologial approach.
Some measures that may help are–

Reduce salt. That is the best known measure to reduce the pressure.
Avoid highly salted items like pickles, chips, preserved products and junk food
Avoid adding salt on dining table...
Reduce salt in cooking [There is small amount in most foods]
Restrict salt to the level of condiment!

Relax.
Relaxation exercises, bio-feed back Technics and yoga may help

Remember no sure way has been proved to normalise by non-pharmocologial approach.
At the most, they may reduce by 5 mm Hg.
The problem is to convince people – because they have no symptoms...
The aim is to prevent future complications – Brain, Heart, Kidneys, Eyes and so on...
There are several classes of drugs – one has a wide choice and most of them are safe.
The best option is to see your Physician / you need frequent follow up.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck