Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Have high MCV due to alcohol. How to reduce this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 364 Questions
my MCV is high due to alcoholism. (also GGT AST, ALT) How can I reduce this?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 10 minutes later
Alcohol can damage significantly your liver, and if those liver enzymes (GGT, AST and ALT) are indeed elevated, then it reflects there is inflammation in your liver. You should stop completely alcohol. The fact that you are also diabetic places you at risk of having metabolic liver problems, and therefore "fatty liver disease", which is simply fat accumulation in the liver that can lead to liver inflammation and injury.
The only way to decrease your liver enzymes is to eliminate the insult, therefore stop alcohol completely. If this does not normalize your enzymes then further investigation should be sought.
Regarding your MCV, this is very common in patients that drink large amounts of alcohol.
Alcohol interferes directly with red blood cell development, making your body produce grossly enlarged red blood cells, and therefore an elevated "MCV" (which means "Mean Corpuscular Volume" or the red blood cell). It usually comes down to normal after 2-4 months of abstinence.
MCV can also go up when a patient has vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency. Therefore make sure you take oral supplements of these vitamins.
Hope that answered your question! let me know if you have any further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor