Have herniated disk. Developed pitting edema and severe constipation. Concerned

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with a herniated disk,L4-L5. I have been experiencing numbness and tingling in my left toes, especially the great toe. For the past 2 days I have developed pitting edema in both lower extremities, severe constipation and difficulty voiding. I am most concerned about the edema in legs. Is this normal for a herniated disk? NA
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later

Lower limb edema is not a basic feature of herniated disc.

Your symptoms are suggestive of pedal edema. Retention of water in the soft tissue is the cause of such swelling.This kind of swelling is not specific for one particular cause and can be seen in various conditions. Few such conditions are venous insufficiency in leg, diseases of heart ,kidney .liver,lung etc, lymphedema, hypertension,allergies and even pregnancy .

Usually diagnosis is reached with help of detailed medical history , clinical examination and few investigations.So I would suggest you to see a doctor sooner. The treatment is usually directed towards the underlying cause.

Please ask if you want me to explain anything.