Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have herniate disc L3, dengenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia. On medicine. Looking for suggestion

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I have a herniate disc L3 and Dengenerative disc disease too. i also have fibromyalgia. I am currently on 75mg x2 a day of difene and ixprim 37.5x2 3 times a day. I get no pain relief at all.
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Pain in case of herniated discs is often severe. If you are not getting enough pain control with diclofenac (Difene) and Tramadol (ixprim) then you need to have a good muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside in combination with the anti inflammatory medicines.
You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician. Additional enzyme tablets like trypsin and chymotrypsin will help in reducing the local swelling.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective.
Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have herniate disc L3, dengenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia. On medicine. Looking for suggestion 32 minutes later
thank you for your answer.
I have seen the specialist Orthopedic surgeon who is referring me to a pain management clinic, as I am a public patient in XXXXXXX the waiting list is 2 years . my GP has been told to refer me to a physiotherapist that specialist in Pilates. the problem is my GP will not give me muscle relaxers like Valium as they are addictive nor will he give me anything stronger than tramadol. I have asked already.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The muscle relaxants i am suggesting- Thiocolchicoside or Chlorzoxazone are non addictive. You can ask your physician for prescriptions. Till then using an L-S contour belt will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor