Have hernia disease. Suffering from heartburn. What should I do to get relief?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a herney and suffer all day with heartburn have had camera check was told to take protine but is there anything i can do to improve it
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 32 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your symptoms are indicative of an acid reflux, also known as reflux esophagitis. It is likely that the hernia is inducing this acid reflux, which in turn is resulting in the heartburn. Though the definitive treatment for this would be surgical correction of the hernia, yet decreasing the excessive acid formation can provide marked relief from the heartburn symptoms.

There are medication which can directly decrease the excess acid formation in the stomach e.g. Ranitidine, Omeprazole, Pantoprazole, etc. as well as medication to eradicate a bacterial infection (called H. pylori) which is often another indirect cause for excessive acid formation e.g. Ulcikit.

In addition, I would also advise you to follow proper dietary and lifestyle modifications, in order to tackle this problem:
1) Avoid foods that cause gastric irritation like spicy foods, coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, etc. Smoking and alcohol are also gastric irritants.
2) Eat at regular intervals and avoid delaying meals.
3) Eat smaller and frequent meals, rather than large meals at a time.
4) Increase the fibre content in your diet - take more of vegetables and fruits.
5) Avoid eating outside; especially avoid all kinds of junk food and fast foods.
6) Try to have a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and proper sleep habits.
7) If you are overweight, then weight reduction is a must and will definitely give improvement.
8) Try to avoid stress and try relaxation methods like XXXXXXX breathing, meditation, etc.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar