Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Have heart and kidney problem. Diagnosed with hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein thrombosis. Suggest further treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 1115 Questions
My father age 78 with heart condition and kidney problem (controlled with tablets) diGnosed with hcc with portal vien thrombosis was going to undergo radioembolization today but bilirubin shot up to 7 ct scan shows tumor has blocked the bile duct pls urgently suggest if metal stent in should be done??
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tes. Metal stent can be placed in for palliation.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

As Portal vein and bile duct is involved, he is in the T4 stage of the disease by Tumour classification.

Yes. He can go for Radioembolization and metal stent can be placed in.

Metal stent can be placed in Cancerous bile duct obstruction.
It is to be necessarily placed for palliation.

As far as bilirubin value is concerned, it may be either due to liver cancer or block in biliary duct.
If it is due to HCC, then bile rubin level will not come down ever after the stent placement.
One of the frequent side effect of radioembolization is gastritis and radiation damage to stomach.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor