Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Have headache, swollen lymph node in neck and bleeding nose. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2546 Questions
I've been having swollen lymph nodes in my neck the past few weeks with headaches. Today I had an ache in my ear and headache located at the back of my head. Then my nose started to bleed.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 59 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should seek immediate medical attention as these symptoms point to an active infection or inflammation which has causes multiple nodes to enlarge. In addition you have ear ache, headache and a nose bleed.

2. Use an ice pack and pinch your nose till the bleeding stops. If it does not stop, or if it continues into your throat, go to a hospital ER immediately. Is your nose bleed minimal or heavy? Is it from one side or both?

3. There are many reasons for such symptoms and until some doctor examines your ears, nose, throat and neck, it will not be possible to locate the exact cause.

4. You may be given medications after the nose bleed is controlled, sometimes with a nasal pack. A full clinical examination, palpation of the neck, a sonography (USG) neck, a Chest X-ray and an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of one of the swollen lymph nodes (if they do not subside with medication) may be needed later.

1 must emphasize that at your age, there is no unusual cause expected.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor