Have headache, blurred vision, high blood pressure and dizziness. Any brain disease?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi doctor. the past 11 months has been the worst and i just don't know what to do right now. it's all started in January when i started feeling numbness on half of my body, feeling dizzy. i went to my doctor and in the process, they found out that my blood pressure was high. however, they couldn't find the reason for the high blood pressure. i also had severe headaches. i had to go to the A&E on several occasions again with the same symptoms. i was put on blood pressure medications and the investigation began. They had to increase my blood pressure dose on 2 occasions as it was not controlling the blood pressure. i did a CT scan, a MRI and blood tests and saw a neurologist on 2 occasions. nothing. i was put on Amitryptiline and that is what i have been taking. i felt better for a month or 2 and the tingling disappeared for a while. now it's back, every day is a struggle. every day i have severe headache. it always start at the same time, around 4 pm, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, pain in back of both eyes and tingling starting on my feet and slowly moving upward my body, up to my head. it is definitely something to do with my nerves. most of the time my hear rate is high and i am only 30 years old. for a month now i have blocked ear wax and it makes everything worse. nothing makes me feel better, i have tried all the painkillers. i am sleepiness and i sleep at 3 am and it is very hard for me to wake up, never able to ear my alarm in the morning. i now noticed for the past 2 weeks, i have pain on top and back of my head, feels tender, constant tension on my back and right shoulder and tension in the head in tinglind in all body when lying on bed. i feel miserable. i just don't know what to do, can you please help me. My GP is very good as he is very active, however, because the MRI and scan is clear, they can't do anything. But i just can't continue to live like this. Can you please help me. is it possible that is a tumour, infection or bleeding in brain? i can't remember the last day i had no pain. I tough that i will also mentioned that i was on contraceptive Depo, injections for nearly 10 years and my GP stopped giving it to me around November 2011, when they realised that i had been on it for too long. my problems started in January 2012, is it possible that there are linked? i just don't know what to do
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand the discomfort you are facing on account of your symptoms.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that there is no chance of you having any serious brain disease, as your MRI brain is normal.

Tumor, bleeding and infection are clearly seen on MRI, so, in your case, they are unlikely as your MRI did not show them.

The most likely cause in your case could be a migraine, where these symptoms can be present. So, I would think you should be started on migraine-preventive medications such as flunarizine, Topiramate, etc.

Regarding the contraceptive pills and brain problems, there is an increased risk of cerebral venous thrombosis-CVT (clotting of blood in brain veins) and migraine with the use of oral contraceptive pills. For excluding CVT, you can get MR venogram brain done once.

Please discuss these issues with your neurologist.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
the headache on back of my head is constant. i thought migraine was at front head. the pain never stop until i fell asleep but it is hard to sleep with the pain, thus i stay up till 3 o'clock in the morning. this is every day. and also the pain on my middle back and right upper shoulder is constant and feels like inflammatory. does a migraine cause all these symptoms.

Is it possible that it got worse after i did the MRI and that i should do another MRI?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Migraine pain can be located in any part of the head. However, reading your other details, I feel in addition, you also have features of muscle tension headache and myalgia. So, in addition to migraine medicines, you may also require medications such as amitryptyline or dothiepin to relax the muscles and reduce the pain.

In addition, physiotherapy (IFT/ultrasound) of the affected muscles may help in relieving the pain. Once pain decreases, you can start regular exercises.

Please get back if you have more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)