Have headache and bloody mucus after sky diving. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I went sky diving in the afternoon and now at bed time my head is hurting and i have bloody mucus my ears took a while to adjust after the landing. Please should i consider the emergancy room? I did have a cold recently and just finishing my antibiotics. Horrible headache and pressure
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 19 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for the query

The above symptoms mentioned by you are features of barotrauma. First of all, you should not have done sky diving when you were suffering from headache is because of the trapping of the sinus secretions following URTI and worsening of the same due to sudden descent following sky diving. The bloody mucus is due to stripping of the sinus mucosa following sudden pressure variation in the sinuses.

Do not worry! You will be alright if you follow the below measures.

1. Try taking some anti-inflammatory medicine such as Ibuprofen or Diclofenac to reduce the headache.
2. Drink plenty of warm water
3. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation
4. Avoid smoking/chilled beverages/coffee/alcohol
5. If the above symptoms do not subside within couple of days, please consult your doctor for a complete examination

Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 29 minutes later
Thank you for your time. I am that person that signs things before reading the paper work. I am so happy to hear "do not worry" ib prophrin is on its way. I will make sure to never go sky diving with a (urti) again and also pass that info around. Happy to sleep now.... thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing

Nice to know that you are relaxed now. I wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon