Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Have headache after having sex. Could I ask a doctor?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5556 Questions
I had a sex headache yesterday with orgasm. It was explosive and faded throughout the day yesterday. I still have a slight throbbing from time to time. The pain was in one spot above my eye and to the left. I am having no neurological problems that I can tell. Do I need to see a physician and should I see my family practice doctor or a neurologist?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should see a neurologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. The most likely cause of headache after sex is vascular headache, something like a migraine. This is due to increased blood flow in certain parts of brain. This is something not to get worried about and would settle down on own in 1-2 days. However, rarely, it could occur in patients with brain aneurysms with small bleeds. Since this is the first time in your case, a brain scan should be done to exclude an aneurysm. Seeing a neurologist would be helpful. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor