Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Have headache. Doctor helping me with c5 and c6 degeneration. Have nausea and pain. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I have had a head ache for days. I have been seeing an orthopedist helping me with c5 and c6 degeneration, but injections did not help. But now the headaches are all the time, where before there were no pain days and headache days. I wonder if I have some other issue besides the degeneration? I have tried over counter pain meds they work but only for a few hours. and the headaches cause or I also have some nausea ? Any ideas what I can do? I am tired of the pain. thank you
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Careful reevaluation, patience and see family phys

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

There are of course other causes of headaches that we may think of. First, it is important to know the intensity, the duration, fluctuations, what aggravates these headaches and what relieves them, especially within these four days. The signs accompanying them like either presence of absence of fever, vomiting or visual disturbances of recent onset are all important to note.

Headaches in this case could simple be primary (no major brain disease) like migraine, tension of cluster headaches. A good inquiry from your doctor and answering by you of a few questions cited by you facilitate diagnosis and treatment is generally simple.

In case its not primary, but secondary, brain disease like tumors, abscesses should be considered. It would be rare in this case, considering that you have been well except for the last few days to think of these. It is however important to bear this mind during the evaluation process. At extreme, a brain CT scan , coupled with a good physical examination preferably by a neurologist would be very helpful. It is difficult or almost very rare, you should be reassured and remain unworried, to associate these symptoms to history of meningitis or spinal bone degeneration.

Your primary care physician could examine you more carefully. Persistence of symptoms with initial treatment plan should prompt you to book an appointment with your neurologist. For now, an assessment by your family physician, initial drug prescription, compliance to treatment and patience could be sufficient at this point. Do not hesitate asking further questions for clarifications in case you need more help. I shall be more than happy to contribute to your health. Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor