Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Have hashimotos disease.On levoxyl for years. Can it affect the result of the blood alcohol content?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions

I have hashimoto's disease. I have been on 200/levoxyl for years now. (Has slowly been increased to that dose over the years). In XXXXXXX my results came back at over 73, so the doctor had me do more labs as you would guess. My question is this: about a month after the XXXXXXX result, I had a couple of sangria's. I was pulled over and my BAC was over 2!!! Even the police report stated "slight" smell and "slight" slurring. I am a 5-8 140lb 42 year old woman... with those results I should have been passed out. My question is this- with my lab # being so far from range, would it affect the result of the blood alcohol content of my blood?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The high test result value of 73 will not effect the result of the blood alcohol content of your blood.

As the alcohol is metabolized by the liver, the thyroid status will not effect the blood alcohol content.

But there are some drugs like like aspirin, furfural, cimetidine, and ranitidine will interfere with the metabolism of alcohol.

But undertreatment of hypothyroidism may lead to slowing of the cognitive functions of the brain in a similar way of the effects of alcohol on the brain at a level.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor