Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Have hardening of tendons in both hands and lumps on both hands. What is the cause and the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14535 Questions
I have hardening of tendons in both hands. There are 'lumps' and both hands are affected with the ring finger. I Have had several sessions of Acupuncture with some benefit.
What causes this and what treatment is there.
I am 66yo. Fit and healthy

Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
There are a number of different potential causes for what you are describing, the exact diagnosis can only be diagnosed with history and examination.

The causes include the following : Dupuytren's contracture - in this condition there is thickening of the tissue in the palm of the hand , as it gets thicker it tends to pull at the tendons in the fingers making it difficult to stretch out the fingers. It normally affects the 4th and 5th fingers. It is also associated with small nodules/ small bumps in the palms.

Another possible cause is stenosing tenosynovitis- this however is usually associated with pain, so unlikely if you are not experiencing any pain. It is usually associated with a history of trauma or overuse of the hands. In this condition there is inflammation and restriction of the sheaths around the tendons eventually with thickening of the tendon. Can also have nodules formed.

If you have a history of joint pain and swelling you can also consider rheumatoid arthritis which can cause nodules in the hand.

Ganglions or small cysts can also occur in the hands but they usually occur singly.

You should visit your doctor for a full history and examination. The treatment would depend on the cause identified.

I hope this answers your question, feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor