Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Have hard, pea-sized lump at the base of right thumb. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Hard, pea-sized lump at the base of my right thumb (anterior), in line with the outside edge of the index finger (above the fleshy part of the thumb).
Not painful. I just noticed it, as if it formed quickly. No other s/s.

49 y/o male. 5'8" 150, good health.

Follow up with Dr.? Monitor it? Get my affairs in order? Demon/Alien?
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 39 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This sounds like a ganglion cyst. These can form randomly at the base of joints in the hand.

Generally this is something that we just observe. If for some reason the cyst causes an impediment to activity or pain - a consult with a hand surgeon would be indicated for consideration of removal of the cyst.

Again this is my impression - not a substitute for a good physical exam. Check an Internet search on ganglion cysts and see what you think.

Let me know if I can e of any additional assistance.

Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor