Have hard lumps all over body and feeling tired. Blood test normal. Which doctor should I consult?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: My husband has hard lumps that are varying in size and shape that will appear on random parts of his body, eg:knee, shoulder, etc, when he gets the lumps he gets very tired, the lumps will last a day or two and go away but then will appear on another part of the body. He has had blood tests which have come back normal. Can you advise what it might be or what kind of doctor I need to get advice from?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 39 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Since the blood tests are normal and since these varied lumps appear randomly all over and subside (transient); along with fatigue, there has to be a generalized cause such as an allergy, auto-immune, friction related or metabolic.

2. If you can share a close up image of the lumps, it may help in evaluating the condition.

3. Are the lumps only near the joints? Are they Itchy? Is the skin above the lumops normal or inflamed?

4. Direct examination by a Skin Specialist and a physician will definitely help.Does he have any dental caries? Which blood tests have been done? How long has he been on Nurofen Plus?This may also be drug induced.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back so quickly.

I have attached copies of photos of the lumps that are currently on my husband's shoulder and elbow. I have also attached all copies of blood tests that have been performed.

The lumps are not always near joints, and are quiet hard to the touch. They are red and sometimes slightly itchy.

He has had dental cavities in the past but has had no problems with his teeth in over 2 years.

He has been taking the Nurofen for a couple of years on and off when his back plays up. Nothing has changed in his diet or with any washing products, soaps,creams, etc.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 55 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The rash in the images seems to be an allergic or drug induced rash. Insect bites, vasculitis (if he smokes) and eczema (if skin is dry and the lumps become scaly) are another possibility.

2. It is good to see that all the test results are within normal limits. This greatly reduces the chances of a serious disorder.

3. Start with an anti-allergic tablet such as loratadine 10 mg once a day. get a prescription from a local physician and get a Skin Specialists opinion if this rash does not respond.

Regards.