Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have hard lump near belly button. Have pain in entire one side of abdomen area. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 922 Questions
Hi, I am 27 yr old male. I have a hard invisible lump about 8-10 centimeters up and a 3-4 centimeters right of my belly button. It can be felt if I press and rub a finger around that area. It has been there for at least 6 months and never pained. If I run too fast for some time or If I exercise too much I sometimes have pain in entire right side of my abdominal area. The lump in about the size of my fingertip(or a size of a large pea) feels like its in the belly fat somewhere.
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, You are right could be a small lipoma

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in

The swelling in question could be a small lipoma, localized fat swelling

It can be painful on pressure

Another point to be mentioned is that the pain in abdomen and the swelling can not be correlated so you need to get this evaluated, if there are any other bowel symptoms you would like to inform , do write back and I will be in a better position to help you out

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hard lump near belly button. Have pain in entire one side of abdomen area. What to do? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for the answer. Initially I wasn't much worried about it but after reading on internet about "abdominal lumps" I was a bit anxious, feeling reassured after answer. I think I should not have mentioned about the pain as that's rare and is there only if I push myself too hard.

Talking about the "lipoma" would you recommend me to see a doctor for a treatment immediately or can I live with it for some time and observe whether it grows in size or become painful.

Talking about my overall health and digestion, it is in good shape or at-least constant for last couple of years(it hasn't deteriorated since I first observed this lump) so I think it should not be a serious concern of immediate medical attention. Please give me your views.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reassure Yourself

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in again

One line of caution, all data available on internet is not authentic, so do not rely on it without consulting your healthcare provider

I am happy you are reassured

Do consult your doctor for Lipoma or go for a soft tissue ultrasound

If abdominal pain is not giving problems, just forget it

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor