Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Have hard lump at the top of gluteal cleft with constipation. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
After a bout with consipation, I find myself with hard lump at the top of my gluteal cleft. It itches terribly!!!! Does not bother me when passing stool. PrepH gave only slight relief.
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
If the lump that you feel is hard and painful, then
what you have is a prolapsed, thrombosed hemorrhoid.
Essentially, enlarged veins. partially blocked or clotted.
If you have a tendency to be constipated, when you strain
during a bowel movement, this can pop up.
What you need is sitz bath or warm compresses over the area.
Do this at least four times a day for 15-20 minutes.
There are preparations that contain 10% Hydrocortisone with
a local anesthetic combination. You can find it in your drug
store or ask the pharmacist. You can apply this also about
four times a day after the warm compresses. This should
help shrink it. Also, make sure that you get a stool softener
such as colace or surfak and take one or two tablets daily
to keep the stool sft. Drink enough liquids daily as well and
regular walking helps.
If the pain gets worse or if you have lot of bleeding, you
should see a proctologist for further care.
I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor