Have hard lump at the top of gluteal cleft with constipation. Treatment?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: After a bout with consipation, I find myself with hard lump at the top of my gluteal cleft. It itches terribly!!!! Does not bother me when passing stool. PrepH gave only slight relief.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
If the lump that you feel is hard and painful, then
what you have is a prolapsed, thrombosed hemorrhoid.
Essentially, enlarged veins. partially blocked or clotted.
If you have a tendency to be constipated, when you strain
during a bowel movement, this can pop up.
What you need is sitz bath or warm compresses over the area.
Do this at least four times a day for 15-20 minutes.
There are preparations that contain 10% Hydrocortisone with
a local anesthetic combination. You can find it in your drug
store or ask the pharmacist. You can apply this also about
four times a day after the warm compresses. This should
help shrink it. Also, make sure that you get a stool softener
such as colace or surfak and take one or two tablets daily
to keep the stool sft. Drink enough liquids daily as well and
regular walking helps.
If the pain gets worse or if you have lot of bleeding, you
should see a proctologist for further care.
I wish you well.