Have hair loss and itchy scalp with bruise on it. Which specialist should I consult?

Dr. Pravin Banodkar

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello. I am a 24 years old women. Since forever as I can recall but realized it was not normal from a massotherapist massaging my scalp, he said seemed like I have scar tissues, edema on my scalp. For me, it seemed like I have very tender area on the top of my scalp, on both sides, when I press on it with my fingers like it was a bruise, it seems that in those area my scalp is somewhat thicker and a clear sebum is oozing out from them upon pressure. I do suffer from itchy scalp and hair loss. I assumed the hair loss was due to stress at university.Thank you as I have no family doctor to refer me to a dermatologist .
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later

Hello
Welcome!
I would be pleased to answer your question .

I would suggest that you will need to get it checked from the Dermatologist ,
It looks like a furuncle which is an inflammation and infection of the Hair follicles . They get inflamed to form the kind of swelling and sebum discharge that you have described .
You will need to take the antibiotic in the form of a prescription from the Dermatologist as early as possible to prevent any form of infectious complications like septicemia . Blood test to rule out Diabetes would be suggested.

Thanks and take care
Follow up: Dr. Pravin Banodkar 15 minutes later
I understand and thank you. however, there is no aparent lesion on the scalp, its looks totally normal when you take a close look at it. I google furuncle and by no means it looks like that.
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 4 hours later
Could you send a photograph for me to confirm
Follow up: Dr. Pravin Banodkar 12 hours later
Trust me, there is nothing apparent. beside my hair count drops dramastically on the top of my head. And there is a thin layer of white dry skin, redness may occur if I rub my scalp too much and gets itchy. But no furuncle, I had multiple people look at my scalp they all say: I see nothing.
sorry I just figured out how to add picture!
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 days later
Thanks for the images. They are very clear. Appreciate it.

You seem to be having a component of sebaceous gland inflammation called seborrheic dermatitis .
You will need to use a shampoo that contains ketoconazole and another shampoo that contains fluocinolone .
You would get it as a prescription.
Thanks.