Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have hair loss and itchy scalp with bruise on it. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 474 Questions
Hello. I am a 24 years old women. Since forever as I can recall but realized it was not normal from a massotherapist massaging my scalp, he said seemed like I have scar tissues, edema on my scalp. For me, it seemed like I have very tender area on the top of my scalp, on both sides, when I press on it with my fingers like it was a bruise, it seems that in those area my scalp is somewhat thicker and a clear sebum is oozing out from them upon pressure. I do suffer from itchy scalp and hair loss. I assumed the hair loss was due to stress at university.Thank you as I have no family doctor to refer me to a dermatologist .
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later

I would be pleased to answer your question .

I would suggest that you will need to get it checked from the Dermatologist ,
It looks like a furuncle which is an inflammation and infection of the Hair follicles . They get inflamed to form the kind of swelling and sebum discharge that you have described .
You will need to take the antibiotic in the form of a prescription from the Dermatologist as early as possible to prevent any form of infectious complications like septicemia . Blood test to rule out Diabetes would be suggested.

Thanks and take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hair loss and itchy scalp with bruise on it. Which specialist should I consult? 15 minutes later
I understand and thank you. however, there is no aparent lesion on the scalp, its looks totally normal when you take a close look at it. I google furuncle and by no means it looks like that.
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 4 hours later
Could you send a photograph for me to confirm
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hair loss and itchy scalp with bruise on it. Which specialist should I consult? 12 hours later
Trust me, there is nothing apparent. beside my hair count drops dramastically on the top of my head. And there is a thin layer of white dry skin, redness may occur if I rub my scalp too much and gets itchy. But no furuncle, I had multiple people look at my scalp they all say: I see nothing.
sorry I just figured out how to add picture!
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 days later
Thanks for the images. They are very clear. Appreciate it.

You seem to be having a component of sebaceous gland inflammation called seborrheic dermatitis .
You will need to use a shampoo that contains ketoconazole and another shampoo that contains fluocinolone .
You would get it as a prescription.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor