Have had tubes tied. Missing periods and feeling sick. What is going on?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: hello i am 27 i got my tubes tide in 2009 i have four kids (3year old/set of twins they are 5 and i have a 6 year old) and this is the first month since 2009 i missed a period my last period was 10/18/2012 period never late and never change. i no my body and i can tell a day before my period comes when it will be here. no sign. I have have been getting sick a lot for the pass 5 days more n more. my toilet tissue craving is back i only have this weird craving when I'm pregnant. my stomach looks swollen on the sides and my stomach sounds like i have gas but i don't. i took two pregnancy what can it be ?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

With the past tubal ligation and now negative pregnancy tests, it seems certain that you are NOT pregnant.

What you are experiencing is a "non-ovulatory" cycle. This means that you probably did not ovulate last month. When this happens, you also don't get your typical cycle related symptoms. Also, patients will frequently report bloating and pelvic discomfort, likely related to their ovaries.

Here is what you can do:
1. Wait and expect that it will return within the month
2. Call your doctor for a prescription for Provera (a progesterone that can be used to induce a period)

If this does not work, then a visit to discuss reason why women start to cycle irregularly would be the right thing. Testing for things like thyroid disease would be appropriate if you reach this point.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions.