Have had tooth cavity and having pain. How to get relief?

Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: I had a cavity in My second last teeth for sometime. 2 days ago a part of the teeth broke off. Now it pains at times, on and off, especially after late evening. Half of the time there is no pain. I cnt go to a dentist as Im an agoraphobic. What is the problem and what. remedy can I do.
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

First of all i would like to tell you that,pain in your tooth means a XXXXXXX infection up to the pulp in your tooth, which is causing pain.

For such problem,you need to get an x-ray of the concerned tooth. I know you fear about these but my objective is to save your tooth. Every dentist would like to save one. If you fear about going to dentist you need to speak to the same expert who is treating you for agoraphobia. The expert can counsel first and perish the preexisting fears and anxiety. Alternatively you can take an appointment with dentist at his home where you can get reviewed with X-ray and counsel as well. Now days dentistry is so advanced that there is no pain during any procedure. So you should try to allay the fear within.

Once the X-ray is done, your dentist/endodontist will decide that it can be saved or not. If your tooth can be saved, it means root canal can be done in that tooth,which will take your 3-4 visits to your dentist / endodontist.

If can not be saved, it means that tooth will go for extraction.

I will suggest you please visit an endodontist in your area at home first (you may be fearful at this practice location) because endodontist is related to such infections in teeth and they are root canal specialists.

Nothing to get worried.

Hope this answered your query,if you have further any doubt,feel free to ask.

Take Care.

Dr.Gunjan Gupta

Follow up: Dr. Gunjan Gupta 5 hours later
Thanks for your answer. but I cnt even step out of My home, how am I supposed to go to a dentist?
I want to know what is the worst that can happen besides the pain. That the rest of My tooth will also fall off someday right? Worst case scenario?

thanks.
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 39 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing again. XXXXXXX i would like to tell you,if you will not take a proper treatment it will be highly painful,pus will also be there.
Pain can spread to head too.
Infection can damage the surrounding bone and can affect the adjacent teeth also. XXXXXXX i can understand your fear,but XXXXXXX i want to save your tooth and for that you need a proper treatment,i am telling you it will not be painful et all. XXXXXXX now a dentistry is very advance you will feel good after going to a dentist.
I will suggest you you should speak to your expert,who is treating you for agoraphobia,he will counsel you.
One more thing you can do,you can call your dentist and talk to him over phone and can discus your problem.
After talking him you will get familiar with your dentist and as you will get assured that dentist is good and you can visit his clinic without any fear,you can proceed with your treatment. XXXXXXX again i will tell you please please do not get scared,everything will be alright.

Hope you got your answer,if you have further any doubt,i will be happy to help you.
Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta