Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Have had stent inserted. Feeling pain in chest. Is there a need for catherization?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
Three months ago my brother in law had a stent inserted. The cardiologist did a csrfiogrsm snd the decided he might need catherization. Why would thid be? He ssys sometimes he feels a bit of chest pain. He had no power in his spartment last week and walked up 22 flights of stairs snd felt good.
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

If here is chest pain, he needs investigation.

If there is a significant change in the cardiogram (ECG) compared to previous one, then even in the absence of symptoms, catheterisation might be suggested. A new block of the native artery or block of the stent is possible.

If one could climb 22 flights of stairs, then the heart problem is not significant. The situation is dynamic and could have changed.

If there is any doubt, it is better to go ahead and do, than to wait and watch. One should not miss a treatable condition.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have had stent inserted. Feeling pain in chest. Is there a need for catherization? 25 hours later
How do they treat this?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later

Proper treatment needs proper diagnosis.
Proper diagnosis needs examination and investigation. If a catheterisation was suggested and could not be done (for whatever reason), alternative diagnostic approach may be attempted - CT angiogram, Stress thallium TMT (exercise ECG)...
Empirically, in such situations, the dose of existing drugs may be increased and/or additional drug may be added - example: If he is only on aspirin, clopidogrel is added / if he is only on beta blockers, calcium channel blocker may be added / direct vasodilators / metabolic modulators and so on. The treating doctor will decide according to the patient's suitability and prescribe.

All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor