• question-icon

Have had staph infection in spine. Test showed elevated ALP, eosinophils and low monocytes. Concerned

Posted on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Infections
Question: i have an elevated alp 147 and had a repeat test today it was elevated my monocytes are lo 4.2 and eosinophils are high 12.4, i had a staph infection 2 yrs ago in my spine and i looked at my cmp and they were slightly elivated at that time do i need to see an infection control dr again and what is going on
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

The normal level of ALP (SGPT) ranges from 5 to 48 IU approximately. The value is considered significant if it is three times the normal. Your value at 147 seems a bit high. Are the other values in the Liver function test profile normal? If so, repeat the test after a month and recheck for the decrease in its value.

Your monocyte count is normal at 4.2; it is not low. Normal range is between 2 to 8%. However, the eosinophils are high at 12.4.

There does not seem a major health concern in you now. I do not think you need to see an infection control doctor again now.

You can probably XXXXXXX your deworming medicine like Albendazole and Mebendazole prescribed. Intestinal parasitic infection is the common cause of raised eosinophils level. Another reason could be an allergic response too.

It is better to get yourself examined once by your PCP.

Hope this helps. Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Dr. Shanthi.E