Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have had sharp pain in the end of penis and noticed blood from it. ECG and kidney test clear. What is wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
This morning I had extremely sharp pain in the end of my penis when sat on the lavatory. so bad I had to stand up seemed like the end of my penis was burning had to press the end of my penis to help reduce the pain. Later in the morning urinated without any problem. Lunchtime was as bad as this morning with excruciating pain on the end of my penis. This evening sat on lavatory, urinated, no pain but considerable blood afterwards, not blood mixed with urine but pure blood. Been faithful to wife since married (5 Years) Recently had full medical examination with no signs of problems, including ecg and liver/kidney function tests
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 14 hours later

I am extremely sorry for the delay in answering. The symptoms you are mentioning are of strangury and hematuria. These two symptoms as well as your presentation are highly suggestive of yourself having stone in the ureter. Ureter is the pipe that connects kidney to the bladder. When somebody has stone at the lower end of ureter, close to the bladder, then he or she experiences the same symptoms as you are experiencing.
You need to get yourself investigated with urinalysis and ultrasound of the kidney-ureter-bladder region (KUB). In the meantime start yourself on the over the counter pain killer such as paracetamol. Take 1 tablet Tylenol 400 mg as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily)
This shall reduce the swelling around the stone and allow the stone to be passed. Drink around 2- 2.5 litres of water and cranberry juice twice daily.
Don't go overboard on the fluids as that shall be counterproductive and avoid alcoholic drinks including beer.
See a urologist after your investigations and start yourself on silodosin under his care. This shall relax the ureter and allow the stone to be passed.

I hope I have been of help to yourself from distance. Any other queries are more than welcome and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor