Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Have had pain in the chest when deep breathing, coughing, sneezing or getting out of bed suddenly. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Hi, I am a 32 year old female. I have had pain in the middle of the chest, maybe rib lung area for months. It's only happens when deep breathing, coughing, sneezing or getting out of bed suddenly. I'm getting worried as it has not gone away. Do you think it is serious? do I need a chest ex ray? I did go to the docs when it first happened about 6 moths ago but he said it was nothing..What should I do please help
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 47 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Pain in the middle of the chest can be caused by several things including rib nerve compression due to an inflammation or spine disc herniation, strained muscle, gallstones, acid reflux disease, lungs issue.

Rib nerve pain is usually sharp, well localized in particular spot. It appears when moving the chest (breathing, coughing) and can be completely unnoticeable when not moving it. The pain can occasionally radiate along the rib to the back.

Muscle pain is dull, mild and present only when moving this muscle. The pain can be also sensed when pressing the muscle.

Gallstones give lower right chest pain which can radiate to the back. Nausea and vomiting can be present. It can appear when coughing or breathing (as the liver and gallbladder moves with the chest). The pain is associated with meals.

Acid reflux disease gives more chest burning than a pain. It appears after a meal. Nausea can be also present.

Sometimes chest pain can be also a symptom of some serious lung disease. It can be pneumothorax (air presence between the chest wall and the lung) or even lung tumor (possible if you do smoke). That is why, if your symptoms do not get better, chest diagnostics should be done.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have physical examination and consider chest X-ray (or better chest CT). Rib nerve problem can be diagnosed with spine MRI. Gallstones should be ruled out with an ultrasound.

You should be prescribed with Diclophenac 50 mg twice a day (should be taken with Omeprasole 20mg once a day to protect the stomach). Hot bath and massage (to unlock the nerve) should be also helpful.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have had pain in the chest when deep breathing, coughing, sneezing or getting out of bed suddenly. Advise? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. Can muscle pain continue for almost a year? I have had this pain for that long and it has not improved. I am going to get a ct scan just in case. Thanks allot
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Muscle pain can be present for a year if the factor which is causing it is present as well. It can be a type of work you perform everyday or uncomfortable sleeping day by day. Its possible. Muscle pain should be worse in the evening.

CT is a good choice. You may ask a radiologist to take a look at your spine with chest CT, so you can have diagnosed both things.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor