Have had nonsustained ventricular tachycardia. Feeling dizzy and fatigued. Any treatment?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had bouts of non sustained ventricular tachycardia. They are transient in nature and have been caught on an ECG once. Problem is at work occasionally I get the feeling I am having a run of it and I get dizzy, fatigued and of course frightened. I have had a nuclear stress test one and half years ago and it was clean as was an echocardiogram. Blood pressure and cholesterol are fine. Do I have any treatment options? Could this lead to something more seriousness. I am having trouble with work concentrating never knowing when this could happen.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

YOU MUST BE SEEING A CARDIOLOGIST

It is probably from abnormal nerve paths (bypass tracts) in the heart).
Echocardiogram shows the valves, function, wall motion and so on...
A normal stress test excludes ischemia.
They do not address irregular beats.

Though not common, NSVT may rarely end up in VT / Non-sustained may become sustained and degenerate to VF. It is wiser to have it investigated – especially when one is bothered by it to the extent of interfering with life style.

There are more tests – the treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation. They are advanced techniques of investigations of increasing complexity and invasive – like Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > it resembles angio / a catheter is put inside the heart, electrical activity recorded, stimulation and suppression tests are carried out, suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is invasive and has a minimal risk and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST.

There are several classes of drugs available – acting by different mechanisms - the specialist will decide tailored to your needs / they could have side effects and need follow up.

There are other advanced treatment modalities - like Radio-Frequency ablation of the focus, which could be done during EPS. There is also implantable cardiovertor / defebrilltor.

The best option is to see an Electro physiologist. Keep seeing him.
It is a question of time – and things will be well.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck