Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Have had nonsustained ventricular tachycardia. Feeling dizzy and fatigued. Any treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
I have had bouts of non sustained ventricular tachycardia. They are transient in nature and have been caught on an ECG once. Problem is at work occasionally I get the feeling I am having a run of it and I get dizzy, fatigued and of course frightened. I have had a nuclear stress test one and half years ago and it was clean as was an echocardiogram. Blood pressure and cholesterol are fine. Do I have any treatment options? Could this lead to something more seriousness. I am having trouble with work concentrating never knowing when this could happen.
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic


It is probably from abnormal nerve paths (bypass tracts) in the heart).
Echocardiogram shows the valves, function, wall motion and so on...
A normal stress test excludes ischemia.
They do not address irregular beats.

     Though not common, NSVT may rarely end up in VT / Non-sustained may become sustained and degenerate to VF. It is wiser to have it investigated – especially when one is bothered by it to the extent of interfering with life style.

     There are more tests – the treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation. They are advanced techniques of investigations of increasing complexity and invasive – like Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > it resembles angio / a catheter is put inside the heart, electrical activity recorded, stimulation and suppression tests are carried out, suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is invasive and has a minimal risk and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST.

     There are several classes of drugs available – acting by different mechanisms - the specialist will decide tailored to your needs / they could have side effects and need follow up.

There are other advanced treatment modalities - like Radio-Frequency ablation of the focus, which could be done during EPS. There is also implantable cardiovertor / defebrilltor.

The best option is to see an Electro physiologist. Keep seeing him.
It is a question of time – and things will be well.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor