Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have had neck sprain, did not take any medicine. Having severe pain from shoulder to neck. How to get rid of it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10419 Questions
i have neck sprain on 19th apr . i did not take any any medicine and i feel ok after 4 - 5 days. but from yesterday i have sever pain in my neck and pain move from shoulder and neck. i am not able to move my neck .

i am from Sikkim india
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the neck and shoulder that you are having now is likely to be related to the neck sprain and muscle spasm that you have suffered recently.
Such muscle spasms can be relieved with a combination of mild pain killer and muscle relaxant like Mahagesic MR 4mg taken twice daily after meals.
In addition to this, you need to do a hot fomentation in the affected area and apply a local analgesic gel like Volini gel thrice daily for symptomatic relief.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist after the acute pain subsides to prevent any recurrences.
You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor