Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Have had lesion. Its not painful or itching. Burns when urine touches it. No vaginal discharge. Suggest?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Hello. Could you help me with an obs/gyn consult?
No pertinent medical history. I have had the lesion (in the attached picture) for about two to three days now. Its not painful, nor is it itching. It just burns when urine touches it. No associated vaginal discharge. No h/o STI. I am in a monogamous relationship. O/E: No inguinal lymph nodes present.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

From your given history and attached image, I can assume that the lesion (pale red in color) is occurred mostly due to contact with some chemical substances or pantyliner/ underwear. Though, it needs to be confirmed by clinical examination by your gynecologist.

It may be aggravated by using chemical substance like lubricant/ jelly during sex, soap/ detergent/ other bath products, cosmetics, tight underwear, causing repeated friction & irritation on the side of labia. You may feel burning sensation while urine or other substance touches the region.

In this scenario, I suggest to consult with a gynecologist for pelvic examination to pin point the diagnosis. Topical hydrocortisone cream or aloe vera gel can give you some soothing effect.

General guideline for healthy life style to prevent future recurrence:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.

2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects or douching inside vagina.

3) Maintain genital hygiene during period time. Do regular physical exercise for weight control by means of jogging/ walking/ treadmill etc.

4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation.

5) Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap or condoms. Try to avoid any type of sexual activity for at least 1 week.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have had lesion. Its not painful or itching. Burns when urine touches it. No vaginal discharge. Suggest? 10 hours later
Hello Dr. Patra,

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I thought it was from soap as well. I was just worried because it was a single unilateral lesion.

I am putting antibiotics and cortisone for the time being. Is bacitracin ok to use as an antibiotic?

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. S Patra 14 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

The very first thing, you need to avoid all chemical substances which I have mentioned in my previous reply. Otherwise, those may aggravate the lesion.

Yes, you can apply bacitracin and cortisone ointment over the affected region to reduce inflammation of the tissue. Though, you need one clinical confirmation by your gynecologist.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Be well and stay healthy. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor