Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Have had infection and exploratory surgeries. After stitches started leaking fluid. On Doxy and Cephalexin. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6155 Questions
I have had an infection for over 6 yrs. and have had 6 exploratory surgeries. Most were staff but the last one was MRSA. The doctor found a 8 inch stitch just below the facia. I thought it was all over and then I started leaking a clear fluid out of my belly button and a blood pocket over my last insition that turned into a sore. I have taken to rounds of Doxy and am now on a round of Cephalexin four times a day. I just need to know what kind of doctor to go to. I must get this infection gone because it is hurting my kidneys.
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
HI and thank you for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what you are experiencing right now and the multiple surgeries you have been through.

From you past and symptoms, I will suggest that you see an abdominal surgeon(preferably the doctor who did the last surgery). He will examine you and find out if there is any need for you to get these areas that drain fluid opened and cleansed. He will collect samples and send to the laboratory for culture and drug sensitivity testing. He should and would work in close collaboration with an infectiologist who would get culture studies to identify the exact germ and also propose what antibiotic is best adapted to eradicate this infection. I believe these two should be able to help you get this problem fixed.

I hope this answered you query and provides guidance on how to approach this problem. If you desire some more information that I have not provided, please guide me by asking specific follow up questions so that I can address them fully.
I wish you a speedy and complete resolution from this infection.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor