Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have had high BP. Tested for kidney conditions. What does the reports says and what should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions

I have a query to a doctor specializing in kidney ailments. My father-in-law had a high BP (180) attack a couple of days ago and consequently he went to a doctor for a check up. The doctor asked him to first get his kidneys checked up. The results are out and the BUN levels are at 70 while the CREATININE levels are at 7.7. Uric Acid Serum is 6.7. Total protein serum is 6.7. Albumin serum is 3.5. Globulin is 3.2. Electrolytes serum (Sodium is 135, Pottasium is 5.4 and Chrloride is 106).

Can you please let us know how bad are the results and how we should proceed from here?


Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 34 minutes later
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
The results show that the kidneys have failed either temporarily or permanently.
He urgently needs to be seen by a nephrologist, examined and decide if he needs dialysis.
This not only depends on the blood values but also on the symptoms of kidney failure like nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, feet swelling, chest pain etc and physical examination findings of fluid overload etc.
Then, he needs medicines to get his BP under control.
He needs regular followup for physical examination ad serial estimates of renal function tests.
Hope this helps, kindly get back for doubts if any---
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor