Owl Image

Have had hal-rar surgery done. Noticed bleeding while passing stool. What's wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012
Excellent

Question
I had a HAL-RAR performed end April 2012. Rectal bleeding stopped. Since I was a smoker for 30 years (stopped end Dec 2011), I also had a colonoscopy done - came normal. Since last week, I have been having rectal bleeding at times when passing stools - increases when straining (constipation). What could be wrong?
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Colon Cancer

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 23 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

You have a history of piles. And now, you are having per rectal bleeding.

In this condition, first and foremost suspicion is recurrence of hemorrhoids. Because your symptoms like increased bleeding when straining, also supports this.

But, it has to be confirmed by clinical examination. You may also need repeat colonoscopy.

For now, you must take high fiber diet. You can also take laxative agents. Because, you have to avoid constipation.

Lastly, consult with your treating doctor for a clinical examination, for ordering necessary investigations and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have had hal-rar surgery done. Noticed bleeding while passing stool. What's wrong? 4 hours later
I forgot to mention that the colour is bright red and the blood actually drips off the anus as I finish passing stools. This might not change your answer, but I thought I will let you know. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for writing back.

yes, that does not change my answer rather supports.

If you have your answers, you can close this discussion.

Regards.