Have had fracture in ribs. Had a small pneumothorax. Why am I feeling pain and hard to breath?
Thanks for writing in.
The pain can be due to 2 reasons. It is either a stress fracture ( wherein a stressed bone breaks up easily even with minor trauma) or due to excessive muscle traction over the muscular attachment of rib.
For pain relief, you can take Tablet Motrin 400 mg 1 tablet 3-4 times a day (upto 4 tablets only) and do some hot fomentation (with a electric heating pad or hot water bottle)
The next step ahead is a visit to the GP who can assess the chest and see how much tenderness is present and whether there is any swelling or deformity. You also need a x-ray again.
Once you see your GP, please do let me know the examination findings.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Dull pain below ribs acid reflux musculoskeletal pain rib fracture
- Hard lump over a healed fracture rib
- Fractured rib congestion
- Rib fracture return to work
- Rib pain years after fractured ribs
- Rib pain and back pain x-ray showed no fracture reason
- Fractured rib dizziness
- Suggest treatment for rib fracture pain
- Flying after rib fractures
- Could an old rib fracture be causing periodical pains