Have had diabetes. On glipizide, metformin and prescribed januvia. Suggestion?

Posted on Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Question: I have had type two diabetes since the early 1990s and am currently on three medications. Because the first two by themselves (glipizide and metformin) were no longer keeping my blood sugar low enough, my physician prescribed Januvia. It is lowering my sugar levels, sometimes far too much. This morning my fasting score was 44 and several mornings ago it was 36. The good news is that I have been below 180 usually.

Here's my question: should I stop taking either glipizide or metformin and continue with Januvia, thus taking two instead of three medications?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Metformin might be stopped.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would say that Januvia contains sitagliptine and metformin combination . So there is a possibilty that metformin is being overdosed. Since your sugar levels are very low .I would advise you to seek advise of your treating doctor as such low levels can lead to problems .

You sugar levels need to be monitored before changing the dose . If your physician feels then metformin may be stopped but since it never leads to hypoglycemia dose alteration of glipizide also needs to be considered .

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist