Have had dengue. What are the chances of getting it again?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: i had dengue on 17 nov and i again bitten by a mosquito on 30 th nov i am worried about getting it again.some one has told me that u cannot get dengue again for atleast one month is it true? i read that there is cross immunity for 1 atleast one month and life long immunity to that particular serotype?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

Dengue infection does result, as you stated, in long lasting protective immunity against the infective serotype and short term (months) protection from other serotypes. So with a history of dengue 2 1/2 weeks ago, it would be unlikely that you would have a repeat episode so soon after.
When biten by an infected mosquito, the incubation period (time from transmission to presentation of symptoms) is 3 to 14 days, though it is usually 4 to 7 days on average.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
can you tell me after dengue i have little red throat cough, little not more red eyes, and stool is quite loosy and i had done cbc yesterday platlates is 260 previously it was 292 and hemocrit is 44 previously it was 46.today is seventh day and i didn't get any fever and all.what are the chances of developing dhf if i get it again and what are the chances that i get it again on 30th nov bite.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Hi, the chances of having a recurrent episode of dengue within a month of having dengue is slim because of the temporary cross immunity (most medical studies indicate that it may lasts 2-9 months)

In terms of the blood results, the increase in the haematocrit is not significant, an increase by 20% is considered significant, so that small increase is not a cause for worry. The platelets have decreased from 292 to 260, your doctor may monitor it to determine if there is a further decrease because 260 is still within normal range.

Dengue haemorrhagic fever most commonly occurs in persons with a weak immune system or those with a previous history of dengue.

Since the bite was on the 30th nov and the average time of manifestation of symptoms is 4 to 7 days,if you were going to have a repeat episode you may have started experiencing the headache, pain in eyes, muscle and joint pain that is associated with dengue.

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
k thanks for your reply fever is a must symptom as i have sometimes a little pain in joints but little and i m feeling weakness as i had caught dengue on 17 and become well on 27nov.i didn't get any fever after 27th.as you stated dhf is developed in previous history of dengue.if i caught again what are the chances to get dhf and what are the chances of critical situation.please reply as i am very much worried after 30th bite
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
HI,

1 to 7 persons out of 100 persons with dengue develop DHF.
The risk factors are secondary infection, weak immune systems, older persons.

If you notice any symptoms that may indicate infection, you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an evaluation.