Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Have had compartment syndrome. What to be done to look the leg normal. Should I visit an orthopedic doctor or a plastic surgeon?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10347 Questions
I broke my tibia and fibula several years ago. During that injury I had compartment syndrome which they performed a fasciotomy to relieve the pressure. I've had no real problems with pain or anything like that but there is a muscle bulge that comes out of the front of my leg. It has given the leg a different shape and the bulge moves as I flex my leg. I wanted to know if there was anything that can be done to make the leg look "normal" like my other leg. Is this something I need to visit an orthopedic doctor or a plastic surgeon? I also still have a metal rod in my leg that they put in from broken bones injury.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The muscle bulge that comes out in front of the leg is the herniated mass of tibialis anterior muscle from the torn fascia. This fascia needs to be repaired to get back the original shape of your leg. Even if it is left like that it is not going to produce any physical symptoms apart from the bulge.
You need to consult your orthopedic surgeon who after an examination will confirm the diagnosis and will guide you regarding the surgery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor