Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Have had chronic diarrhoea. Having pain under ribcage and belly button. Is this related to spleen?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
I have had chronic diarrhea for about a year now. A common thing is a dull ache under my ribcage on left side long with dull ache directly under that kind of even with belly button. Progressively more frequent without any "normal" stools in the last few months. Had a colonoscopy and endoscopy on Friday with no obvious abnormalities. My cousins and aunts on my maternal side have all had their spleens removed (not my mother to sister though). Could the frequent diarrhea, consistent dull achiness have anything to do with the spleen?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 24 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

1) You are most likely suffering from acute viral gastroenteritis. Presence of frequent stool with small amount and dull ache indicate acute bacterial gastroenteritis.

2) Kindly answer the following details:
a) Presence/ absence of fever
b) type of abdominal pain whether spasmodic/ burning type
c) Nausea/ vomiting present or absent.
d) Have you taken antibiotic treatment?

3) As enlargement of spleen can not cause diarrhea, but presence of gastroenteritis may cause enlargement of spleen due to persistence of infection. Spleen gets enlarged as it tries to clear the infection.

4) You should go for treatment with antibiotic, probiotics, anti- spasmodic.

5) You should also consult physician.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

DR. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor