Have had cesarean. What are the chances of cesarean for next pregnancy?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: if first delivery is caesarian, is it necessary that the next one would be also the same. I'm in 37th week of second pregnancy right now.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 51 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
The outcome of a post-caesarean pregnancy depends on the reason for which the previous caesarean was done,the type of uterine incision and also the duration between the two deliveries. If the caesarean was done for a non-recurrent indication like abnormal fetal position or fetal distress, it need not be repeated. One can wait for a trial labor and if there are any complications developing during the trial, then caesarean is done. If, on the other hand, the earlier surgery was done for a recurrent indication like abnormal pelvic architecture, it needs to be repeated. If you know the reason for your caesarean, please mention it so that I can give you a proper advice.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli